Tuesday 25 August 2009

A Workshop 'Down Under'

One of the great things about being a member of the Society is that you can do Tai Chi in so many wonderful parts of the world. Here, Sue Denny, a member from Suffolk, reports on her recent visit to Australia.

As my trip to Australia to visit family was fast approaching, I received an email advising that there was to be an additional two-day workshop taking place on the last weekend of my holiday. Tony Kwong was coming over from Canada to lead us. I could not believe how excited I felt at this news, what an opportunity to learn more from another leading instructor.

I did have a twinge of doubt as to whether I would prefer to spend my last weekend with my family but Tai Chi won out on that score. And I sent off my ‘Rego Form’ securing my place ensuring that I would take advantage of the 20% discount for early booking – I am always one for a discount if available!

The workshop was in Canberra and I traveled from Sydney by coach – a mere 3 hour journey, where I was met by my hosts with whom I was billeted. Such friendly, kind welcoming people with whom I immediately felt comfortable.

A total of 49 people attended the workshop, from Canberra, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, and of course me from the UK. A few of the people I knew from previous workshops in Canberra but it is always a pleasure for me to be able to walk into a group of ‘strangers’, be accepted and feel as if I have known them all my life.


Of course a Tai Chi workshop would not be complete without food and members from Canberra provided us with a magnificent spread for morning and afternoon tea and the catering team came up trumps with a delicious hot lunch on both days. Saturday night was spent socializing over a meal in a local hotel.

Tony’s teaching was amazing and to watch him do a set (with TV cameras present) a real joy. Continuing Instructors in Training were taken to one side at one stage and given practice while the rest of us were able to watch and learn. To see them doing moves with such unity made it all look effortless and brought home to me the importance of keeping the timing and thus helping each other.

A wonderful workshop – but aren’t they all wonderful? I came away feeling relaxed, very open and with a sense of having been amongst my extended family. Thank you guys for all your organization and yes I will be back for more!